International Students (non-ERASMUS)

Information for non-ERASMUS foreign students

Applicants from outside Germany need to pass the DSH exam (German language exam for university access) or must pass an exam ascertaining their subject-related aptitude (Feststellungsprüfung). Details can be found under the country-specific information links.

Applicants from outside Germany can request application material throughout the year from the University’s International Office, or can download it from the internet (see Application Form on the right-hand side).

On account of the preparatory courses which may be necessary at the Foreign Students' College – either in the German language or in your chosen subject – there are two application periods possible:

  • Winter semester: 1 March - 15 May in the year for which you are applying
  • Summer semester: 1 September - 15 November of the year before

Language requirements for taking up a course of study

  • German university access language test for non-German applicants – DSH*
  • Test in German as a Foreign Language – TestDaF*
  • Certificate C1 or C2 of the Goethe Institute
  • Major or Minor Language Diploma of the Goethe Institute (KDS or GDS)
  • German Language Diploma of the Conference of Education Ministers – Level 2

* for all technical and engineering programmes at least DSH-1 or TestDaF Level 3 (in all four parts of the exam)
* for all courses of study in economics and social sciences at least DSH-2 or TestDaF Level 4 (in all four parts of the exam)

Letzte Änderung:27. November 2018


Evelyn Suliman

Student Services & International Relations

Building Z I / Room 0.21

+49 3583 612-4445



Direktlinks & Suche