Prerequisites for beginning a course of study

What documents do we need?

  • A completed application form [German]
    Explanations of how to complete [German]
  • A certified true copy of your higher education entrance qualification (eg Bakaloria - Baccalauréat, etc) including a certified translation into German
  • If available, certified true copies of other proof of previous education
    (eg university degrees or enrolment certificates) including a certified translation into German
  • Proof of German language proficiency
    (see below)
  • A passport photograph and a copy of your residence permit


We will be happy to assist you if you need help in completing our application form.
Just give us a call or send us an email.

What kind of technical requirements do you need to meet?

Your application must be supported at least by an Abitur equivalent (eg Bakaloria - Baccalauréat, etc) 
Depending on which country you are coming from, there might be additional requirements for admission to a university in Germany, such as proof of enrolment at a university in your home country, a previously awarded degree or prep course certificates.
There are different rules regarding each country of origin.
We will be pleased to advise you accordingly, just send us an email or give us a call.

Use this link if you would like some advance information on the recognition of foreign qualifications that allow you to study in Germany.


Which linguistic requirements do you need to complete before applying?



What happens after my application is received?

If you meet all requirements for a successful university application, there are four different ways at HSZG depending on your German language proficiency:




DSH - Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang - Language proficiency test required for entry to a German university
FSP - Feststellungsprüfung - General university entrance exam


The choice of which approach to take will be dependent on your qualifications.

We can give you more information after we have seen your qualifications. Please contact us by phone or email to arrange a meeting before you send in your application. Most foreign applicants are required to attend our Foreign Students' College prior to their university studies. So please don’t be sad if you can’t start university immediately.

Successful applicants to our College must have passed the assessment test before they can follow one of the three ways to admission to studies.

The assessment test will either assess if your German is good enough for the DSH course or if your German and Maths skills are fit for our FSP course.

The test is administered twice a year in Zittau.

Click here for more information on our DSH and FSP courses.


Do you have more questions?

Please do not hesitate to ask, as it will be a pleasure to assist you!



You can find general information for refugees who wish to start university in Saxony here. [German]

Letzte Änderung:30. Juli 2018


Henriette Uhlig

Student Services & International Relations/

Building Z I / Room 0.04

+49 3583 612-4340



Consultation hours in Zittau, Building Z I / Room 0.04:

  • Monday (odd weeks): 13:00 - 15:30
  • Tuesday: 13:00 - 15:30 Uhr
  • Thursday: 13:00 - 15:30


Consultation hours in Görlitz, Building G II / Room 253:

  • Monday (even weeks): 14:30 - 16:30


Direktlinks & Suche